The High Mill stands at the top of Chapel Street, which used to be called Windmill Brae. The Mill tower was built in 1797 by Mr David Dick, on land he leased from the local laird Captain Hamilton of Kirkton and Fairholm. The mill must have been successful, as it was mentioned in an advertisement of 1817 which extolled the virtues of Carluke in the hope of attracting people to the Town. Certainly David Dick became a man of some standing in the town, as he was appointed Baron Baillie in 1815.
For some reason, however, plans to build a courthouse in the town never came to fruition. Some years later, David Dick handed over the running of the Mill to two of his sons, James a millwright engineer, and William a miller. They converted the mill to steam power and added several structures to the original tower, including the threshing mill. The family tradition of milling continued right into the 20th Century.
However the mill fell into disuse about 1930, having been converted to gas power by James Dick only fifteen years earlier. As a mechanical mill as opposed to a water driven mill it holds the interest of various organisations within the United Kingdom and beyond. The internal machinery was removed from the mill in 1999 and placed in safe storage. This machinery has been described as “the most complete [set of working parts] to be associated with any Scottish corn-grinding windmill”.